Suicide is a complex phenomenon which is affected by large number of factors. However, suicide risk is higher where there is:
- a mental disorder, particularly depression, schizophrenia, personality disorder or anxiety;
- alcoholism and drug dependence;
- chronic or terminal physical disease, especially if associated with unbearable pain and suffering;
- psychological crisis (whether it is caused by the loss of a close person, broken relationship, loss of job, a failure in school, family problems, etc., or development process - for example, adolescent crisis);
- trauma or abuse;
- previous suicide attempt;
- suicide of a family member or friend.